Minutes of KDCS Committee Meeting - Mon 28/09/26 Sprint Mill
Present:
Anne Brookes (Chair), Martin Slader, Jim Carson, Will Beck
Apologies: Tim
Goffe, Phil Morgan and Paul Crooke
1. Actions from previous meeting
ACTION: Anne to send follow-up email to new members who are not on email lists.
Done. Sent
follow-up emails to 5 new members: received 4 responses and added 3 to MTB/road
lists and 1 had health issues.
ACTION: Update the Code of Conduct to strongly advise that riders wear helmets
on all rides (Anne) - Done
ACTION: Arrange payment of £100 to CMR (Martin and Anne) - Done
ACTION: Add August & September ETs to
the KDCS calendar - Done
ACTION: Adopt the term RC in all
communications about rides (ALL) - Done
ACTION: Update the Code of Conduct for riders and RCs regarding personal
responsibility and insurance. (Anne) - Done
ACTION:
Create a membership renewal system to be instituted from 2027 (TBC/Anne?) – NOT ACTIONED, NEEDS FURTHER
DISCUSSION
ACTION: Anne to investigate use of Google Groups - Done
ACTION: Send out communication/talk to members to ask
for new committee members (ALL) – ONGOING. Paul Crooke has
volunteered to organize the Xmas dinner and may join the committee.
2. KDCS Archive
Edward and
Romola had spread out their collection of documents, files, photos and other
material that they have gathered since the establishment of the club. Anne spoke with Edward before the meeting
started to establish their wishes. They
are keen for club members to take and keep whatever may be of interest or
importance to them or the club. They had
not sorted any material that they wanted to keep personally. We (the committee members) had a look through
and discussed options. We agreed that
the newsletters, photos, press cuttings and some publicity materials were
probably of most interest to current members.
We suggested that these could be displayed at the next AGM to generate
interest in anyone keen to keep them.
Martin was interested in the newsletters and took them away to read and
identify any articles that we might digitise and add to the KDCS website. Anne took the press cuttings and publicity
material. The remaining material
included old accounts, meeting minutes, campaigns, articles researching
bike-related gear, dealings with council members, maps and leaflets relating to
cycle routes and holidays and much more.
We decided that most of this was of less interest and relevance to the
club as it is now.
ACTION:
Anne and Martin to identify archive material for digitising and to take archive
items to next AGM
ACTION: Make club members aware of the archive collection
and encourage anyone with an interest to take action
3. Ride reports
MTB (Will)
Will
reported that the MTB rides were going well and that they still managed to put
on a ride every week so far. He then
reported on an incident when Lynne fell and broke her wrist, which raised a few
issues:
·
Emergency contact details and registering for MTB rides – Will did not have a contact
number for Geoff, who was not at the scene, and needed to be contacted after
Lynne was helped back to the start. This
was because Geoff and Lynne had arrived at the start without previously
contacting Will, who makes a list of phone numbers when people register for the
ride. We discussed this and agreed that
we should communicate to members again the importance of letting ride
coordinators know beforehand that they want to join the ride and to give
emergency contact details.
ACTION:
Anne to add reminder about registering for rides into next club-wide
communication
·
Wearing helmets – Lynne was not wearing a helmet.
We discussed this and the club policy of not enforcing
helmet-wearing. We agreed that this
policy should change to make it mandatory for helmets to be worn on MTB rides,
because of the increased risk of falls.
This change will be proposed to the membership at the next AGM.
ACTION:
Propose change to helmet-wearing policy to members at AGM for a vote.
Another MTB
topic discussed was the balance of e-bikes to manual on rides and whether it is
a contentious issue. Will reported that
e-bikes are in the majority on most rides but that it generally does not become
an issue, although in a big group on cold/wet days, waiting around is not
pleasant. Anne reported that a new
member had decided not to join the MTB rides because they would not ride in
mixed groups (from previous bad experience).
After a recent MTB ride that was specifically for e-bikes only, Will reported
that the feedback was that this was “not a good precedent to set” and so he does
not anticipate having segregated rides in the near future.
Road rides (Anne)
Anne
reported that the struggle to fill the weekend road rides calendar is ongoing
with no responses to the latest pleas for volunteers, but we still manage to do
an average of two rides per month, with more in the summer. The majority of rides are coordinated by just
4 members (Andy G, Pete A, Martin S and Anne) with others members doing one or
two rides per year. We discussed an idea
from Bill on putting ‘leaderless’ rides on at weekends for some favourite
routes that have been ridden repeatedly, following the Easy Tuesday
format. Anne agreed that it might come
to this but that she preferred coordinated rides with a bit more individuality.
Other rides
Tim was
absent but had sent news that the EWCAN rides (Easy Wednesday Café and
Natter) have continued with small groups of riders but could do with more
publicity to attract more riders.
Jim
reported on the Easy Tuesday rides, which have finished for the year and
continued to be well-supported. He has
set up a WhatsApp group of the regular riders, which is working well. He is starting to coordinate the Easier
Tuesdays. We agreed to send an email
out to all members to let them to contact Jim if they wanted to join the
WhatsApp group and how to find out about the Easier Tuesday venues.
ACTION: Anne and Jim to coordinate an email to
members about ET rides
Martin
reported that his second ETOS ride (Easy Tuesday on a Saturday), was
well-attended but that people were asking him about the next one rather than
anyone else proposing any.
We did not
discuss any Away Trips.
4. Club Communications – Email, Website
& Facebook
KDCS website/Blogspot
Jim reported
that he has started to make a few changes to the website but hopes to get into
it properly now that his retirement is imminent. One item to address early on is to make the
site secure by changing it to https.
Currently it is http and this causes warnings, which may put off new and
existing members from accessing the site.
Club emails
Regarding
email communications, Anne reported that she had set up a Google Group for the
committee (and had sent out invitations the day before the meeting) but then
discovered that all members had to have a gmail account in order to access the
group and start a conversation, which make it unnecessarily complicated and a
non-starter, so will abandon that idea.
She will pursue other avenues to find a better mechanism than Hotmail.
ACTION: Anne to find alternative to Hotmail for club
and committee emails.
5. Next Meeting
The
committee agreed to meet make the AGM the next meeting in the new year. Date to be decided.